At Tool Skool, we’re always looking for cool tools and gadgets, and when you find one that is a tool and a gadget all wrapped up in one, then WOW… we feel like we’ve hit the jackpot. As I was online checking out some of the latest things out there… I “stumbled upon” the Swiss+Tech Micro Plus EX 9 in 1 Key Ring Tool. I read a lot of reviews out there and some of the points I agree with, and some I don’t.
Let’s start with the fact that you can find this online in a lot of places for less than $10. That being said, I’d say this particular tool packs quite a bit of punch into that price point. Here are the 9 things that make this a 9 in 1 tool:
1) Pair of pliers
2) #1 Flathead screwdriver
3) #2 Flathead screwdriver (the #1 folds into the #2… very clever)
4) #1 Phillips screwdriver
5) #2 Phillips screwdriver (same thing with the folding storage)
6) Wire cutter
7) Wire stripper
8) Wire crimper
9) And last, but certainly not least… a bottle opener
All of those features are pretty self-explanatory. I personally haven’t tried the wire stripper and crimper feature, but the screwdrivers work, and the #1 screwdrivers come in handy as it seems those tiny screws are always the ones you need to get to when you are away from your toolbox. The other features also do what they should… cut wire, open bottles, etc.
For the key ring part, you just open the tool, close the mouth of the pliers onto your key ring (it doesn’t come with one), then flip the handles of the pliers around for a nice neat key ring. One of the complaints that I read was that it was a bit heavy for a key ring, and I guess if you’ve never carried a key ring it could be a bit heavy (it weighs 2.9oz), but you have to consider that it’s made from solid stainless steel, and anything lighter would leave the tool feeling flimsy and cheap, so if you’re making a tradeoff, I’ll take the heavier key chain.
Here are some of the other complaints I saw, and my responses:
1) Some people wanted a knife. My response: I prefer the screwdrivers if I have to choose. No need to tick the TSA off if you don’t have to, but a knife would have been nice to open packages etc., so I can see their point.
2) Several people didn’t like that the handles to the pliers don’t lock. My response: They have to turn in order to make it attach to the key ring, otherwise you’d just be carrying a small set of pliers. My assumption is that if Swiss+Tech had come up with a way to make them lock the price would have gone up fairly substantially. I doubt most people will use this tool as their only set of pliers, so I’m okay with that tradeoff.
3) Of all the complaints I saw, the biggest by far was that the rivets on the rotating handles get loose. My response: So far, the ones on the tool I’m trying have held up fine. One is a little looser than the other, but they both hold their place when folded up. My suggestion to those that are not happy with the handles is to contact Swiss+Tech regarding the Limited Lifetime Warranty on the product to see if they can get a replacement or a refund.
For less than $10, I think this tool gadget is a bargain! I also think it makes a great gift.
To purchase the Swiss+Tech Micro Plus EX 9 in 1 Key Ring Tool: CLICK HERE
For more info: CLICK HERE